Monday, May 21, 2007

It's all about me! Tagged, I'm it!

A while back I was tagged by Connie to name seven (7) things you didn't know about me. I've been reading what every one has been writing and I will say that I find it interesting. So having given some thought to this list, here goes:

1) I'm not afraid to travel alone. One summer, I took off to Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia for two (2) weeks by car. I camped the whole time. The following year, I went across Canada, by car, to Alberta in order to photograph the Calgary Stampede. I camped once again. On my way back, I took the US route and stayed in Hotels. For some reason I did not feel safe. I made a stop in Chicago to buy photography equipment.











2) I studied Professional photography at Dawson College in Montreal.

I love photography, my specialty being portraiture and photo journalism. My apartment in Montreal was often turned into a darkroom. I worked mainly in black and white. It was at the suggestion of my good buddy Philip Carpenter, who encouraged me to apply for a press pass, that I was able to do so much at the Calgary Stampede. He finished his degree and studied communication at Concordia. He is presently a professional photographer for a large Montreal newspaper. This is a picture of my daughter at our wedding photographed by Philip. His work is amazing. I do hope to get back into the medium sometime soon.

3) In September 2001, I took a leave of absence from the Toronto Dominion Bank to finish my university degree in Psychology. I was a single mom on her own. To this day, I am proud that I was able to make it financially. Like all single moms I had day care, a car loan and other debts. It's really amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it!

4) I met my current husband on the Internet. I had written a small introduction paragraph on Yahoo personals on a Monday. On Wednesday, I was telling Marlene (my massage therapist) how it was really silly to try and find a mate. Being in school full-time with a four year old child, no income and not much time, how could I keep up? After my appointment I went to delete my profile and Stephen had written to me. We arranged to meet the following Saturday, November third (3), for coffee (it was my birthday). I saw him from afar in his car and said to myself "Oh another reject. That's okay, it's the last one". Well, I really don't know to this day what or who I saw in the car. When he walked towards me I said to my self "Wow, what a hunk! He is cute!

5) In August 2003 I left my employer (The Toronto Dominion Bank) to do a graduate degree in Philosophy and Religious thoughts. My husband thinks I'm on a quest! I won't argue with that. I'm always on a quest! ;o) I would like to do a PhD in psychology. Frankly, I don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I left a management job with an excellent income because it wasn't me anymore. Sometimes I think I'll never grow up!

6) Until a couple of years ago, I was one of those individuals who had taken off in a plane, yet never landed in one. I parachuted. To this day I still remember the experience and do hope to do it again.

7) I was in the Canadian Militia - The Black Watch (RHR) of Canada. I went as high as Sergeant, being the first female Sergeant in it's history (so I was told). I had been often asked to go as a commissioned officer, but that was not the experience I was looking for. As a soldier, I had the opportunity to throw lots of grenades, shoot bazookas etc... When I became a Master Corporal, being a woman in an infantry unit, it was not possible for me to lead in the infantry. So I obtained my military driver's licence and had an opportunity to drive huge vehicles (2 1/2 ton truck) etc. It was a chance for me to continue playing soldier in the field. .

That about covers it. Gosh this is turning into a long post. I won't be tagging anyone as it's been pretty much around the ring. However, if you have not had a chance to do this, tagged you're it!

16 comments:

Darlene said...

You've led a very interesting life! I'm glad that you and Stephen found each other! My DD found her mate on the internet, too and they've been married seven and a half years!

Melanie said...

What an interesting person-- and you quilt too.

Wendy said...

Whew...I'm exhausted....You've done some very interesting things in your life. Thanks for sharing.

Greenmare said...

great adventures! Good job on all of it, and I hope your daughter takes after you!
she is beautiful by the way- and I know beautiful daughters, I have 4!

Kim said...

Very cool, Carole! What an amazing background you have so far!Thanks for sharing! (Now get back to that paper! LOL!)

Patti said...

Oh my goodness, you have had a VERY fascinating life! Your comment on my blog makes total sense - the difference is that none of the things I tried were very exciting. Loved the story about you and your husband's first meeting. Thank goodness you found each other!

swooze said...

Love the picture of your DD. It is interesting that we probably would never have learned this about you if not for being tagged.

Leigh said...

Screen door took the words right out of my mouth,lol.
What an adorable photo of your sweet daughter, did you take it?

Sweet P said...

I knew there was something about you I liked - you're studying Philosophy and Religious Thought. That's what my B.A. degree is in. I've often thought about going back to school to get my Masters and PhD. But there are no colleges close to me unless I want to commute to Boston one hour or so each way.

What do plan to do with your degree? What's your speciality? Inquiring minds want to know if you don't mind sharing.

CONNIE W said...

Your life is full of interest and challenge. I applaud you on your accomplishments. Great post!

Pam said...

Seems you have had some fascinating life experiences.

I too, love to travel on my own. A few times a year I go on a road trip by myself. It is the one time I like to really play my music loud!

Clare said...

Great post. Love the photo of your DD.

Rose Johnston said...

Wow......great post Carole!!! its so great to learn all the things that make each of us special!!!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow thanks for sharing. I found that really interesting...incidently I went to John Abbott College from 1989-92 but never graduated either :)

Nicole said...

Good gravy Carole! You have had some incredible experiences! I would have a hard time coming up with even one thing as interesting as the seven you shared. The way you met your husband was positively kismet.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Great post! Through all of these revelations the word that I would use to describe you is courageous, you do have lots of courage that shines through most brightly! Well done. The photo of your daughter is absolutely beautiful, it represents so much! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...