Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A New Project!

Last week was a rough one for me. I'm feeling much better now especially since I started a new project! ;o) There's nothing like working on something new to help change my frame of mind.

The other day I received my issue of McCalls Quilting magazine and fell in love with the third (3) quilt from the top.

It has always been my goal to have seasonal quilts for each bed in my home. Since DD does not have a winter quilt as of yet, I thought this one would be perfect.

For my quilts designated as "winter quilts", I like to use 100% wool batting. As you know, it can get pretty cold in Upstate New York and living in a house that is more than 150 years old, the insulation factor is no where near those of a newer home. I find wool to be superior on those cold winter nights!

I went looking through my stash and these are the fabrics I came up with. The bottom fabric will be used for the 4 (four) patch square.

I do plan on making the quilt a bit bigger than specified in the magazine. I find it to be a tad small for a twin. Besides, winter quilts always need to be bigger so that you can wrap yourself snug! lol

I do hope you are all enjoying the fall weather. It has been gorgeous in Upstate New York for the past week. It makes it difficult to stay inside!

Have a great day everyone!

25 comments:

Vicki W said...

Yummy fabrics!

Julia said...

Oooooo, this is going to be a gorgeous quilt. I will have to go look in my copy of that magazine to see the pattern.

jennifer said...

that looks like thimbleberries to me (or is it moda)!!!!

Melanie said...

Great fabrics - I'm going to have to look into this magazine.. looks fun..

Kim said...

I love new projects! I sorted out my mail last night and found I have several quilting mags to take with me on my mini-vacation--the McCall's is one of them. I'll need to check out that quilt! Enjoy working on it!

swooze said...

Can't wait to see it!

Unknown said...

I am glad that you feel better. Is it ok to quilt with wool batting.

Anonymous said...

I love that magazine cover. Now I've got to go out and buy that. Thanks!! Just what I need another magazine. I do love Christmas quilts though. I've got one at the quilters right now. A king size one.

Quilter Kathy said...

Me too Carole!
There's nothing like starting a new project to make a quilter feel great! Enjoy!

Shelina said...

Great fabric - this is going to make a wonderful quilt. A quilt for every season for every bed. I like it. Of course, I don't have a quilt for each bed yet, so I've got a ways to go to make one for each season too! A quilt for every wall might be more doable!

Yvonne said...

Oh yes, a new project does wonders for the soul....very nice fabrics. Looking forward to seeing it come to life.

Juliann in WA said...

Love your fabric choices. I have been itching to make a wintery, Christmasy quilt too. I have never used wool batting. How do you launder a quilt with wool batting?

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Gorgeous, these magazines can be so inspiring... almost to the point of reaching out and grabbing us! I know. Your winter woolie will be wonderful.

Jeanne said...

Love that pattern and your choice of fabrics. The quilt will be wonderful!

Pam said...

It looks like it will be a great winter quilt. Are you going to put flannel on the back? I have yet to use wool batting but I hear it is a dream to hand quilt. Have fun with your new project!!

Meredith said...

A new project that sounds great. I am glad you are feeling a bit better. Nothing like quilting to help.

Mary said...

Lovely fabric choices! Cant wait to see the finished product!

Wendy said...

A new project...yippee...it doesn't take much to get me to start a new project and it certainly will brighten any day. Can't wait to see the quilt...gotta go find that magazine.

Darlene said...

That's going to be a real beauty, Carole!

Libby said...

Mmmmm - it's going to be wonderful. I love to work with wool batting, too. Even in southern California, it can be a benefit - light weight and breathable.

swooze said...

I loved this magazine and went and bought one for myself.

atet said...

Oooh...those fabrics are just yummy! I'm going to have to go looking for that magazine!

The Calico Cat said...

I have heard that wool is good year round, because it breathes... (Or maybe I like it because we use our AC...) I hope you use flannel on the back - so nice to crawl into on a cold winters night...

Nan said...

Love your fabric choices - that is going to be a warm and cozy quilt!
I think I have to go find that magazine, too!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh those fabrics are going to be so perfect for that quilt!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...