Monday, June 13, 2011

Life, the universe and the possibilities of UFO quilters....!

I seem to be picking up a tad of a gloom and doom attitude as of late! Have you ever watched the series Ancient Aliens?

It is/was a documentary on the History Channel about Alien earthly visitations (past and present) and the "evidence" they have.  Anyway, it's scaring the crap out of me! Not that I think their theory is well supported, it's just my imagination that is running wild! Sadly, so far none of the aliens appear to be quilters!

As hand applique entertainment, I tend to watch Netflix instant view. It's great if you're like me and do not watch TV; all of the older programs are new! lol I think I will revert to scientific and historical documentaries for learning entertainment! ;o)

As a quilter, I am always looking for tools that make my quilting experience more enjoyable.  One of the issues I had with hand applique was the soreness of my under finger as the needle picked through the layers.   A while back I had written about the UnderThimble as a possible tool for hand applique (you may read about here)!  Why not, it worked great for hand embroidery.  Unfortunately, it just didn't cut it for hand applique.

However, Thimble-It works wonderfully!

What I do is cut the ovals in half, round off the corners and place it on my index finger.  Voila!  My finger is protected.

I can go on for hours and days hand appliqueing with no pain!

The problem with the UnderThimble was my inability to grasp my work tightly.  Thimble-It is more flexible, allowing me to get a firm grip of my work.

If you are like me and unable to hand applique for long periods of time, you might want to give Thimble-it a try.

Thank you for stopping by!  Keep well and if you meet aliens who quilt, do let me know.  I'd love to see their work!

4 comments:

Janet O. said...

My son had me watching some things on Netflix recently while I quilted. They weren't necessarily scary, just kind of depressing, but I was so fascinated I couldn't stop watching. They were the series on Hoarders and people with OCD--that one was called Obsessed. They didn't feature any quilters, but with our fabric hoarding instincts I think we make possible candidates. : )
I don't hand applique, but I will pass the info to my Mom, whom I know has had the sore finger problem.
Thanks!

WoolenSails said...

We got netflix, nice to watch what you want, when you want. We always get a movie for saturday night from the dvd's, much better than sitting in a theater. I have to look for those thimbles, looks like something i could use, I have permanent holes in my fingers, lol.

Debbie

Unknown said...

I think it is better not to think about the aliens out there!!!

Thimbleanna said...

I love watching tv series on Netflix. It's great 'cause you can watch the episodes back-to-back and don't forget what happened when there's been a week between episodes LOL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...